Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The "A"

The "A" representing adultery. The crime that I committed to and served time for about six months. On the breast of my grown in red cloth, surround with an elaborate embroidery and gold trim. Done with fine fitting decoration to appeal everyone’s eye when I walk by. When I stood on the scaffold everyone just looked at me with shame in their eyes and what not to say. I was not a shamed of what I did because if I wore to be a shamed I would not have made my "A" so beautiful and unique. Many people ask why I mock the law but I just stand there and look that them like they do not know what they are talking about. Why can’t I be a woman who does things different to get attention? People of the village say that I need to be shame and try to hide the "A" because I was not a shame of what I did, so why shall I be ashamed of what I did! If I the women who has committed a crime like adultery and wear this “A” on my breast, why should I be shame and not happy. Why shall the people of the village care about the crime I committed that has nothing to do with them! Sometimes I just wish to leave but this is a place I cannot and I shall not say anything else of why I must stay in this village to live.

4 comments:

  1. Hester->My daughter is so beautiful in the clthes that I make her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Roger Chillingworth-> If I were to have a daughter so beautiful I would ask you to make her clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hester-> maybe I can make my own business and sell clothes to the women of the village!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr.Dimmesdale-> seeing you in the village today with Pearl was a blessing.

    ReplyDelete